Shabby Miss Jenn

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Stepping Out of the Box

I do not consider myself to be an "art quilter" or an "artist", but when I received some new toys a few weeks ago (silk and canvas that are ready to run through a printer), I decided to marry together my digital scrapbooking, regular scrapbooking, and quilting skills to create this mixed-media piece. It's way outside of my normal box, but it was such fun that I think I'm going to alter my normal box so I do more of it.

Several digital papers were used as the background for the digital alphabet. I printed these on silk, then quilted them onto batting (no backing) using various variegated threads. I then outlined each rectangle with chenille fibers.

I painted a 16x20 inch artist's canvas with acrylic and alcohol ink, then layered it with squares of digital papers that were printed, punched, and inked. I added a few gems for a bit more sparkle.

The large square is a mini-quilt, of sorts. It was made by printing another digital paper, framed with two digital frames stacked on top of each other, onto sticky-backed canvas. (I had to fool my printer a bit, but it worked!) I adhered the canvas to batting and quilted it using the motifs in the digital paper: longitude and latitude lines, the postmark in the upper right corner (now hidden), the leaf image, and the flower.

The frames were accentuated with a variety of fun fibers. I used photo hangers to string it onto shimmery ribbon, which is stapled to the artist's canvas frame (16x20 inches). I felt it still needed something in the bottom left corner, so i used letter stamps and some Staz-on ink to put some of my creative goals onto it. The spot above the word "layouts" still looks a little bare to me, and I think I'm going to add a thread-painted dragonfly I created in Susan Brittingham's embellishment class through Quilt University.

This piece lives in my office where I can see it while i'm working at the sewing machine or the computer. If you're interested in a complete list of materials, you can find it here.

4 comments:

  1. wow is right, I love the colors, gorgeous stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is glorious and I think the dragonfly in the space would be perfect, please let us see the final result..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Just wow.

    You are really talented. Do you ever sell your quilts at art shows? Because I bet they would sell very well.

    ReplyDelete