Shabby Miss Jenn

Monday, June 6, 2011

NC Quilt Symposium

I spent Saturday and Sunday at the NCQSI, the annual state-wide quilt show, which was held at Peace College in Raleigh this year. I had Saturday morning free to view the show, and it was a nice one this year.

This was Best of Show, Swamp Hibiscus by Judith Heyward. It was beautufully designed and the machine quilting was marvelous.


This appliqued bird quilt was a real showpiece. It was entirely hand-quilted. The corners between the blocks had birds quilted into them, and it appeared that no two were the same. I think that the applique patterns were used as the source for the quilting patterns for the birds.




This spectacular quilt, Daffodil O'Keefe by Katherine McNeese, had me making second and third walks through the section it was hanging in so I could see it again.  So realistic you could reach out and pick it!


Maggie Trees a Coon, by my friend Jeanne


A marvelous miniature Baltimore album, and a detail of it. Just look at the hand quilting!



This beauty was made from an antique table cloth of the creator's husband's grandmother.  It was gorgeously quilted.


The vendor mall enjoyed my visit, too.  I got some wonderful wool roving from Annie's Keepsakes; to-die-for hand-died silk handkerchiefs, organic cotton ricrac (which will ruche automatically if you pull one thread from an unraveled end), and gimp from YLI; and a felting book from Schoolhouse.  After that, I sat on this marvelous rocking-chair porch in the quad and relaxed for a bit before meeting friends for lunch and my afternoon class.  More about that tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for including my little Maggy quilt in your Symposium photos! Daffodil O'Keefe is by Katherine McNeese of Williamston, whom I met at the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janice,
    thank you for your KIND comments!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all stunning, but I agree the daffodil is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all outstanding, however I agree the daffodil is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. These are all simply amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete