Shabby Miss Jenn

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The More Things Change...

the more they stay the same. And that is a good thing when you're speaking of Cape Cod. I was so afraid that when I got there, after a 20+ year absence, that the Cape would be overdeveloped and ugly, like Myrtle Beach and so many of the Florida beaches. But development has been heavily restricted. The Cape is still mostly cottages, and very quaint looking. There are extensive bike trails all over it. And walking and biking are still the most common methods of transportation for anything local. I'm going to share a few highlights of the trip here...

I was fortunate to be there during the peak of the hydrangea season - the colors run mostly blues and purples there. Here is a typical Cape cottage with it's colorful front garden and weathered shingles. I got to see this, and many others like it, every day while walking to the beach.

My mom rented a cottage in Brewster, MA for 2 weeks. At it's craziest, 11 of us were there. My mom, me, my kids and hubby, my sister and her two kids and hubby, my brother and his friend. The beach was a short walk from the house, about 1/4 mile or so. Boats were anchored everywhere. I really liked this "old-fashioned" wooden one - it was just so classic looking.

The boys had a ball goofing off with each other and their cousins. Matthew lost his other front tooth, and really enjoyed his new "gap", and learning that he can, indeed, still whistle!

We went on a whale watch out of Provincetown (P-town), at the very tip of the Cape. We got lucky and got to see Finback whales, Humpback whales, and Minke whales. This Humpback looked like he (she?) was skipping across the water as he breached 4 times. It was called a "chin breach" and they think the purpose is to knock the barnacles off their chins. (The barnacle cluster is pretty large, the diamond-shaped section of grey at the top of the black part under his chin.)

And we made it once to see the sunset. I know, how can you see the sun set over the water on the East coast? Well, out on the Cape, you can look back west toward Boston and so you do get a beautiful sunset over the water! I don't normally do posed photos, but had to make the boys and their cousin Tori hold hands on the jetty while they looked at the sunset. Love how they are silhouetted against it!

The humidity reminded me why air conditioning is a very good thing.

One night Mom and I weren't paying attention to the street names and got turned around - but it was a happy thing because we found an Emack and Bolio's ice cream shop and all had a special treat. (Extra special if you're like me and don't get the "high test" ice cream anymore.)

The Brewster Flats will get a post all their own - truly an amazing sight (and stink, LOL).

More later. In the meantime, I'm off to continue unpacking and doing laundry and figuring out what else needs doing around the house. And to keep removing the cat from my lap, she's a little desperate for company!

No comments:

Post a Comment